■ m2, homes are meant to be safe places



english »»

m2 est un livre sur les inégalités quant aux superficies que nous avons tous pour vivre. Selon les pays, cette surface est très différente et peut varier de 6 à 89 mètres carrés.

C'est une question qui m'a interpellée. J'ai comparé les chiffres avec l'espace où je vis. Cela porte à réflexion. Dans mes recherches, j'ai trouvé quelques données provenant des Nations Unies et de l'article «Mansions and Slums: the Inequality of Living Space» de Tamara Pearson datant de 2016.

J'ai décidé de travailler les phrases en rythmant la typographie. Chaque pays mentionné est accompagné d'un monotype sur papier coton. J'ai fait ressortir dans mes gravures, le nombre de mètres carrés et le type d'ensoleillement que chaque habitation pouvait recevoir. Dans toutes les pages, j'ai découpé la silhouette d'une maison qui s'agrandit en suivant les statistiques des pages.

Avec une couverture enveloppante et protectrice, ce que doit être un abri, j'ai monté le livre selon une structure en accordéon.
____________________

Ce livre est une pièce unique.

largeur 13.5 cm, hauteur 18.5 cm, profondeur 1 cm

édition unique • 2021 • acquisition • Zhang Legacy Collections Center, Special Collections, Western Michigan University, États-Unis.






m2 is a book about the inequalities in the amount of space we all have to live on. Depending on the country, this surface is very different and can vary from 6 to 89 square metres.

This is a question that has caught my attention. I compared the figures with the space I live in. It gave me food for thought. In my research, I found some data from the United Nations and Tamara Pearson's 2016 article "Mansions and Slums: the Inequality of Living Space".

I decided to work on the sentences by giving rhythm to the typography. Each country mentioned is accompanied by a monotype on cotton paper. In my engravings, I highlighted the number of square metres and the type of sunshine that each home could receive. In all the pages, I have cut out the silhouette of a house that grows larger by following the statistics on the pages.


With a wrap-around, protective cover, which is what a shelter should be, I set up the book in an accordion-like structure.
____________________

This book is a unique piece.

width 5,5", height 7,25", depth 3/8"

single edition - 2021 • acquisition • Zhang Legacy Collections Center, Special Collections, Western Michigan University, États-Unis.


Commentaires